Around the Town in Oakmont PA

My thoughts and musings on life, technology and living in my adopted home town.

Friday, July 08, 2005

Sad news and reasons to be thankful

Like many of you I awoke yesterday morning to the horrific news coming out of London. Hearing reports on the radio I turned on the television, something that I don't normally do in the morning, and tuned to Fox News Channel. The first image I saw was the double decker bus with its top ripped completely off. I bowed my head and prayed to God that through some miracle there would be no loss of life. I had to listen on a few moments to learn that would not be the case.

Thoughts of that awful September day in 2001 flooded back to my mind as I watched events in London unfold. While there were no collapsed buildings there was the haunting image of that bus which may have been packed with morning commuters. I continued to pray as I watched until I had to leave for work. Throughout the day I listened to the radio and checked news sites on the world wide web to say informed.

I was particularly concerned because the pastor of our church recently returned to the United States having lived in England for the past twenty plus years raising a family there. Some of his grown children still live there having careers and working in London. Again I continued to pray.

Late yesterday evening I spoke with Pastor Naumann and he told me that he had been in touch with his children and friends in England and that they had escaped harm from the attacks. His son and daughter in law normally would have been in one of the subway stations that was bombed but had over slept and because of that and changes in their destinations had both walked to work yesterday morning.

When the rescue personal complete their work I'm sure the death toll will rise beyond what is know at this time. Many of those that are injured are on the critical list and my not survive. I hope and pray for both them and their families. I ask you to do the same.

I also fight to contain the rage that I feel for those that perpetrated this evil on their fellow human beings. I look forward to the day when no government or people will provide them a rock to crawl back under once they have carried out their heinous acts. This has been another event in a struggle that in all likely hood will not end in our life time. It is however one over which I think in the end we will prevail.