Around the Town in Oakmont PA

My thoughts and musings on life, technology and living in my adopted home town.

Friday, June 10, 2005

Summer returns to Oakmont

I'm still new to and learning about “blogging” so bear with me as I navigate the pathways of this new means of conveying your thoughts with the written word. I hope that people reading this will get an idea of the flavor of life in Oakmont while I satisfy my desire to write. As I said I am new to this so as with many other things I will lean as I go. I expect to be expressing some opinions not only on Oakmont but the surrounding areas and life in general. I hope not to bore anyone to tears but I'm sure if I do they will exercise their right to go away and not return. My greatest hope is that in the process we both learn something.

Summer has finally arrived in Oakmont. For a while there I was starting to wonder. Last year we missed summer all together or at least that is the way it seemed to me. Temperatures were below average and it seemed like it rained all summer. The only time the sun shined was while I was at work which of course made the grass grow so it needed cut which I couldn't do when I was home because it was raining! Lets hope we have broken that pattern for the year 2005.

In the past I was a “walker” spending at least thirty five to forty minuets a day walking around town trying to keep my weight down and my heart healthy. Alas several years ago I broke a leg in three places, and all at once when I do it I do it right, which put me on my back for about three months. Since that time I have lost the “battle of the bulge” in a big way and now suffer from a sever case of “dunlaps” disease. That being a malady where my belly “dun lapped” over my belt.

I hope to reverse that trend this summer with a regular walking regiment with my faithful companion Lucy. Not to be confused with the love of my life for the past thirty plus years Linda. Lucy is a mixed Lab who while no where near my weight class seems to have the ability to drag me along the sidewalk when I don't exert the proper control on her leash. Oakmont is a great place for a person who likes to walk for a number of reasons. You have your choice of terrain from flat to up hill climb. If you prefer flat we have a really nice “walking trail” that runs next to the railroad tracks in the center of town which is basically a ribbon of black top that runs from one end of town to the other. Along the way there are some nice places to stop and sit on a bench and chat with some of your neighbors. My only problem with it is that pets are baned as “the powers that be” elected to simply say no to all dogs rather than discipline people who walk with their dogs and refuse to clean up after them. So Lucy and I will be wandering the sidewalks for the time being. There is also a very nice running track at Riverside Park. Easier on the feet if you can stand going around and around like a train on a model railroad layout.

So if you are a walker stop in Oakmont and stroll down our boulevard enjoy the shops or the walking trail where you can enjoy the view and the people. If you encounter Lucy and I stop and say hello.