Around the Town in Oakmont PA

My thoughts and musings on life, technology and living in my adopted home town.

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Still thinking about taxes

Well I'm still working on my rant about taxes in Allegheny County. In the meantime let me comment on the current kerfuffle over social security. I listened to an interview on talk radio this afternoon with Pat Toomey from the Club For Growth about the latest plan to revise the system.

The new plan will still allow "private accounts" but instead of the money invested in the stock market it would be invested in the form of treasury bills. Opponets of the plan have raged that the stock market it just to risky to allow people to put their social security retirement money in. I wonder where they think all of the dollars in those 401K plans resides? I don't envision anyone calling treasury bills a "risky investment" so it will be interesting to see what the objection is now.

You can be sure there will be a objection because the real reason for all of the wailing and gnashing of teeth over this plan is that it takes the money out of the hands of politicians and puts it in the hands of you and I the people who earned and own it. I for one hope that they get this plan passed and I hope that they do it quickly.

If you would like to read more about what is really going on with social security I recommend the web site Social Security For Choice and read the blog there. This is an issue that all of us need to educate ourselves on. Those that are retired, those that are about to retire and those that are about to start paying into the system. This is as close as I have ever seen it come to real change in the system and I hope for our children and grand children's sake that we take advantage of the opportunity.