Around the Town in Oakmont PA

My thoughts and musings on life, technology and living in my adopted home town.

Monday, June 20, 2005

Back on track

Well the main Linux box is back on line. The verdict is still out but when my youngest son showed up to wish me happy Father's Day having heard of my predicament he had a new power supply in hand and offered to change it for me. Upon checking out the system he found the same condition that I had which was turn the power switch on with no indication that the system was was working. He then changed the power cord to a different one that I had in my junk drawer and hold and low be the system came to life.

Now I had another system sitting here that I was going to convert to Linux and I had put that same cable hook up as this system including power cord and it worked just fine. So I'm not convinced the cord was the problem. I guess I will run it for a while and see what happens. I'm just happy to have it back again.

Of course now I have to listen to Andrew tell me how “he fixed the system for me” and how “you would think I would have checked something that simple”. All I know is if it fails again I'll see to it that he never hears the end of it.

All in all it wasn't a bad Father's Day. I got a visit from my youngest and my oldest just flew in from Alaska safe and sound for which I'm thankful. Dan called me from Nevada to wish me a “Happy Father's Day” and it is always good to hear from him. He is a Paramedic and is getting his certification in Nevada so he can run with the local fire company where he lives. He delivered a baby boy in the back of the ambulance yesterday afternoon. Looks like he hasn't forgotten everything he knew when he was doing it for a living before going into the Air Force.

I did not make it to the car show in the park this year. Wasn't feeling up to it even though Andrew wanted to go and make an afternoon of it. I hope next year we go and Kenny will be in town to join us. Maybe I'll see you there.