Around the Town in Oakmont PA

My thoughts and musings on life, technology and living in my adopted home town.

Friday, July 01, 2005

Pictures of things as they are

Well Linda and I went to get our hair cut this evening after work. We both go to a little shop down on Allegheny River Boulevard. While waiting for Linda to take her turn in the chair I wander down to Lane's Hardware Store. I would like to wax poetic about Lane's but I need to get to bed as we both need to be at work early in the morning. Perhaps with the upcoming long weekend I will take the time to tell you a little more about it. This evening I picked up a few things I keep forgetting when I am out on the weekends and just wandered the isles for a while. Something I don't normally do when shopping.

Then we went down to Edge Water Steel or at least what is left of Edge Water Steel. The thirty five acer site where once wheels for locomotives and railroad cars among other thing were turned out is being leveled for development. It was purchased by Regional Industrial Development Corporation and according to what I am hearing will be converted into a combination of light industrial, shopping and residential properties. I will be watching closely to see what the mix is when construction begins. I wanted to get some photos of the buildings that are left and the empty grounds. I have three sons one of whom now lives out of state and I wanted to show him some of the changes taking place in town.

Next I went down and took several shots of the Dairy Queen, the house located directly behind it and the now defunct Exxon station. Demolition has already begun on that property. I didn't think of it at the time but I should also get a few shots of the railroad crossing at Hulton road since the face of that will change quite a bit once there are new traffic lights installed there.

Finally I stopped by the library and took a few shots of the on going construction at that location. I think we will have one of the nicer libraries in the valley when the new addition and updates are complete. I will have to figure out how to go about posting some pictures here on the blog. I know it can be done just haven't taken the time to ferret out the details. If you get the chance to pass through Oakmont anytime soon spend a few minutes and look around at things the way they are now as soon there will be some long time land marks that just will not be there anymore.