Around the Town in Oakmont PA

My thoughts and musings on life, technology and living in my adopted home town.

Friday, June 17, 2005

Weekends and dead computers

Well I was working on two different items that I was going to post here on the blog when my main computer died. The nerve of it! I haven't had time to dig into it yet but I think it is just the power supply. If that is the case I should have it back up and running over the weekend at which time I will have some comments about the business climate and taxes in Allegheny County and Oakmont.

For now I have pressed a “retired” note book computer back into service and installed my favorite flavor of the Linux operating system on it and am writing this with Open Office Writer. It is somewhat of a “dog” speed wise but I can live with it for a day or so. Now if the main system has more serious problems and I have to work with this machine while I order replacement parts I fear I will grow cranky and somewhat perturbed. Once you get used to a “newer faster better” computer it is hard to go backwards. I could tell you stories of IBM PC XT systems with “fast” 10 megahertz mother boards but that is a tail for another time. Lets hope the rain holds off and we have a nice weekend.

0 Comments:

<< Home