Around the Town in Oakmont PA

My thoughts and musings on life, technology and living in my adopted home town.

Friday, June 17, 2005

Yard sales, rummage sales and lazy weekends

One of my wifes favorite weekend pass times is making the rounds of yard sales here in Oakmont. I have to admint that on several occasions she has come home with some pretty good deals. She bought me a real nice chair that started out life at Ikea which I keep in the bed room for relaxing when I want to read and paid only $5 for it. On any given weekend you can find a number of these types of sales going on around town and if you start early and look carefully you get some pretty good deals.

If you are thinking about garage sales or yard sales this weekend Redeemer Lutheran Church is having their annual “rummage sale” Friday evening and Saturday (June 18th) from 09:00 AM to 12:00 PM in the church basement. This the Ladies Aid Society's biggest fund raiser of the year and they do a lot of good work with the proceeds. Did I mention there is also a bake sale. Lots of REALLY GOOD home made cookies and other goodies that are guaranteed to cause you to come back next year and donate your pants which are now too small and look for some larger ones to buy. Seriously though, you will find some good things to eat, some good deals and meet some nice people in the process.

Redeemer Lutheran Church is located at the corner of Pennsylvania Avenue and 13th Street in Oakmont. You can click on one of the links in this message to be taken to our web site where you can find driving directions.