Around the Town in Oakmont PA

My thoughts and musings on life, technology and living in my adopted home town.

Sunday, June 19, 2005

Father's Day 2005

If you are looking for something unique to do with Dad tomorrow, Fathers Day, there is an antique car show held every year at Riverside Park here in Oakmont. It is a really great event and draws individuals from all over the area.

Owners bring their restored vehicles that range from early 1900's models to muscle cars from the 60's and 70's era. It doesn't take very long to see the amount of work invested in these cars and the pride that their owners take in showing them.

I have a real soft spot in my heart for this show because it had become somewhat of a tradition for my Dad and I to attend it when he was still with us. I have three sons and as they grew they would attend the show also and it became a father, son and grandson event. The boys and I would really enjoy walking around the park listening to my Dad describe the inner working of some the older cars, at lest old to us, and tell us about the models that he had owned and or worked on. It never ceased to amaze me that my Dad could start back at the Model T and move forward in time telling you about various quirks and idiosyncrasies that individual models had. Some of the names long since gone and forgotten by those that are not car enthusiasts. I am smiling even now as I write this thinking about it. I miss you Dad.

If your father is still alive do yourself a favor and make sure to spend tomorrow with him. The time will come when you will give anything if you could spend another day with him walking and talking. Soaking up the knowledge and wisdom that he accumulated through the years. Knowing that he had a love for you that only a father can have for a son. I lost my Dad in 1998 and it seems like only yesterday that I would be thinking about taking in the car show at the park tomorrow with him at my side. Enjoy Fathers Day 2005 with your dad if you can.