Around the Town in Oakmont PA

My thoughts and musings on life, technology and living in my adopted home town.

Saturday, June 04, 2005

The Carnegie Library of Oakmont

The Oakmont Library is very interesting place in and of its self. If you have never been in the library you have missed a great experience. I have several hobbies, by wife says some of them are obsessions, and reading is near the top of the list. I don't get to spend nearly as much time reading as I would like and I suppose that for the most part that is my fault. I have found that you really have to “make time” for things that you enjoy in todays busy world.

Reading is more than just a hobby though. It is the key to learning and learning is the key to a better life. If you are of the Christian faith you can benefit greatly from reading the Bible, God's word to man, on a daily basis. I have just recently completed reading the Bible for the first time in my life. I did it through a weekly study program called “Todays Light” at my church, Redeemermer Lutheran, here in Oakmont. If you are interested we are starting that program again soon and anyone is welcome to attend.

Beyond the Bible there is a wealth of enjoyment to be had in books and at the library. Our library here in Oakmont has recently undergone significant renovations. Additional space has been added an the building has been made much more accessible for those unable to climb a large number of stairs to gain entry. Stop in if you get the chance and see the new much improved Oakmont Carnegie Library located at the corner of Pennsylvania Avenue and Allegheny River Boulevard. I plan to write more about the library after my next few visits.