Around the Town in Oakmont PA

My thoughts and musings on life, technology and living in my adopted home town.

Thursday, June 02, 2005

Things keep changing

Things are always changing. When I was a kid the Esso gas station on the corner of Hulton road and Allegheny Avenue was just a small wooden building with two gas pumps and not much else. Matter of fact if I remember correctly there wasn't even a curb that separated the pumps from the street.

Over the years the little wooden building disappeared, Esso morphed into Exxon and corner was developed into large service station complete with automatic car wash. The Exxon station is located right next door to another building that even though it has undergone it's own set of changes over the years has become an Oakmont landmark. That being the Dairy Queen ice cream stand and restaurant. Thousands of folks have quenched their apatite or satisfied their sweet tooth with all the goodies available within in a hot summer night.

Well the Exxon station has been closed for several years now why I'm not quite sure. When it initially closed I thought there was no way that chunk of real estate would lie fallow for any length of time but I was wrong. Who ever owned it must have reasoned that if they held out long enough they would get their asking price. It looks as though someone has proffered the requested amount as work has begun on demolition of the building. This was no shock to anyone in the community least of all me.

What did come as a shock was when I noticed that the Dairy Queen was closed and dark. Asking around I found out that not only had the Exxon station been purchased but also the Dairy Queen and the home located behind it. My disappointment was compounded when I found out that all three parcels of land had been purchased for the construction of yet another drug store. I hear we are to be blessed with a shiny new Wall Greens at the corner of Hulton Road and Allegheny Avenue.

I suppose with the only current “growth industry” in Allegheny County being the elderly it was a logical move and I'm sure the municipality will appreciate the tax revenue it will generate. Still I don't consider all new things progress. We will now have a pharmacy with a drive through window but I can think of lots of other uses I would rather have seen that ground put to. Such is life which always goes on. On a positive note I hear that the owner of the Dairy Queen has retained his franchise. So I guess there is the possibility that the Oakmont Dairy Queen may live on at a new location. Time will tell.

Until then when the summer nights get warm and your sweet tooth tugs on your shirt sleeve travel a little further down the avenue to BRR Kees Ice Cream and Yogurt for a cone of delicious home made hand packed ice cream. Oh, and they make really good milk shakes.