Around the Town in Oakmont PA

My thoughts and musings on life, technology and living in my adopted home town.

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Up in the sky, its a bird, its a plane.........

Yes as a matter of fact it was a plane. As Linda and I left the house this evening to drop some items off at Andy's house and visit with the grand children I heard a sound that I have not heard in some time. That being an airplane driven by propellers. I looked up in the sky directly over 5th Street to see a World War II B-17 bomber slicing through the air. Low and slow. I just happened to have my point and shoot digital in my hand at the time and managed to get this picture. I have seen this type of aircraft before but I always have to stop and stare when one appears in the sky. Needless to say it is not an everyday event.

What I was seeing today is one of three planes that are currently on exhibit at the Allegheny County Airport. They are part of the Wings Of Freedom tour and for just ten dollars you can climb over under around and through all three of these magnificent aircraft. Unfortunately they are only here for three days two of which have already passed. As far as I can tell this was not well publicized. If you have the chance to get out there today, Friday August 11th 2006, I think you will enjoy it.

Here is a much better image from the Wings Of Freedom web site.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home