Around the Town in Oakmont PA

My thoughts and musings on life, technology and living in my adopted home town.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Music and memories

While I have never been able to as they say “carry a tune in a bucket” music has been a great source of joy in my life. I was blessed by my mother with a love of music of all kinds and while she primarily enjoyed folk and country and western she exposed me to all types of music and allowed me to find my own preferences.

Those preferences ranged from classical to rock and roll. One birthday during my teen years I received a set of classical music albums, or LP for long playing, records that was a montage of artists and arrangements, selections from Hyadn to Bach to Mozart. I was thrilled with it and enjoyed it a great deal much to the puzzlement of friends my age. They were particularly confused since I spent many evenings and late nights on weekends at the controls of a reel to reel tape recorder building a library of my favorite songs recorded off the air from KQV's top forty list. I could mount one of these tapes and listen for some time to continuous Motown, Atlantic and other record labels with the likes of The Temptations, Stevie Wonder Diana Ross & The Supremes, Elvis Presley and many more. I guess I have given away my age talking about pop music on KQV currently an twenty four hour a day news station not to mention the groups and record labels mentioned. On top of that there are some out there scratching their heads asking “What is a record?”. How time flies when you are having fun!

There I go getting long winded again. All of this brings me to the reason for writing this posting. I spotted this compact disk, CD something todays generation does understand, at Amazon a few months ago and ordered it with out ever hearing a track from it. I can say with hesitation that I was not disappointed. I had my thoughts confirmed today by a professional reviewer on the web site Crosswalk and I would like to share that with you. Enjoy.

Alan Jackson's "Memories" Delivers on Title's Promise
Kristi Henson
CCM Magazine
Artist: Alan Jackson
Title: "Precious Memories"
Label: ACR/Arista Nashville

If ever you could judge an album by its cover, this would be the time. Let me paint you the picture (or just look above this review). An old, one-room, white-washed country church photographed in sienna-tinged hues of brown, black and white standing in a clearing. Simple. Graceful. Elegant … and poignant. Such is Alan Jackson’s "Precious Memories."

Follow this LINK to read the complete review.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home