Around the Town in Oakmont PA

My thoughts and musings on life, technology and living in my adopted home town.

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Ken & Henry At The Movies


World Trade Center


I have a long time friend that I went to school with who moved back to the Pittsburgh area after retiring from the Colorado Springs Police Department. Henry and I used to attend the movies often when teenagers but haven't done so for years now. Recently he called me and said that I really needed to go see “Superman Returns” on the opening day and I agreed. It was such an enjoyable afternoon that when I saw the previews for “World Trade Center” I called Henry and returned the favor. So he and I went to Chesswick Theater Wednesday afternoon for the matinée.

Many times I have high expectations for a movie and they are so high that when I attend the opening day I find myself somewhat disappointed. The “wanting” being greater than the “having” as it were. Such was not the case with World Trade Center. I hope that when Monday comes that this movie is the box office champion when it comes to ticket sales for the weekend. Partially because it was an excellent story very well told for the format. More so because I think this country need a “wake up call” to remember the events of September 11th 2001 which seems to have faded from our memories all to fast as we return to “life as usual” in the post 9-11 era.

Everyone needs to remember those that suffered and died on that day leaving loved ones behind to grieve for them. To remember that our country had been attacked and thousands of our citizens killed on our own soil. These thing seem to have faded from the American consciousness and that bothers me a great deal.

The movie is primarily though not about the attack but about the valiant effort to save two men trapped in the rubble of the collapsed twin towers. Found by an former United States Marine who just put on his fatigues and “showed up” to help search for survivors the men might not have lived through the night had he not found them. Over all the movie has a very uplifting message that people will help each other out in times of trouble despite their differences. Much to my surprise director Oliver Stone also did not wander off into conspiracy theories and even more surprising did not try to comment on or slant the religious expressions that both men talked about while trapped underground.

The movie is ratted PG-13 for strong emotional content and language. I would not recommend this movie for preteens and only for very mature teenagers. I don't want to spoil the movie with any additional details but keep you eyes open for one small scene by one of the lesser known actresses that comes across with very powerful emotions.

My friend Henry saw the movie through different eyes being a retired police officer and having actually visited ground zero and taken pictures there. He came away from the movie with much more anger at the current complacency among many in this country for the war on terror. While not having the exact same feelings I do understand.

If you get the chance I recommend that you see this movie. I think it will have an impact on all who do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home