Around the Town in Oakmont PA

My thoughts and musings on life, technology and living in my adopted home town.

Sunday, July 31, 2005

Talk radio in Pittsburgh

I have been a big fan of “talk radio” for some time now and if you pay any attention to the media you know that talk radio is mostly conservative in tone. As a teenager I listened to Jim Quinn on KQV when they were “groovy QV” and played top forty music most of the time. My how the times have changed. KQV is now Pittsburgh's only full time news radio station. Jim Quinn found religion and is trying to “out Rush” Rush Limbaugh on the local level. I listened to Quinn and Rose in the morning for quite a while and share many of his points of view especially on gun control legislation. I reached a point where I grew weary of the same mantra day after day some of which I was not convinced was completely sincere.

About that time what I considered to be a voice of intelligence and reason came to talk radio in Pittsburgh in the form of the Jerry Bowyer show on WPTT.

I had stumbled onto Jerry on Cornerstone Television channel 40 while channel surfing one weekend and liked what I heard. Anytime I noticed his program was on I would make a point to catch it. Then Jerry was invited to fill in for Lynn Cullan on WPTT talk radio and when I heard he was going to be on I listened in and was not disappointed. Apparently I was not along. Audience reaction was so good that the station offered Jerry his own show in the early morning time slot. I have been a steady listener since and have found the show not only entertaining but very informative. One of Jerry's promotional bumper lines that aired on WPTT said “How about something different. Talk radio where you don't have to turn your brain off.” and this pretty much sums up the show.

Times change, some things do and other don't. Jim Quinn has changed stations since I first started listening to him in the mornings now being on an all talk format FM station. WPTT has altered their format going with what they call a “more progressive” line up of commentators in talk radio. I have listened to the new mix and some of it I like, other parts do not hold my interest enough to keep my radio dial set on WPTT the entire day anymore. If you like talk radio you should listen in for yourself and decide.

One show that I do make a point to listen to every weekend on WPTT is The American Entrepreneur hosted by Ron Morris. While the theme of the show is starting and running your own business I find it pretty good material for lessons in life in general. Ron is “one of the good guys” and a straight shooter who calls it as he sees it. Listen in and see what you think. Saturday morning on WPTT from 09:00 to 11:00AM. Click on the link I have inserted here to visit Ron's web site to learn more. I think you will find it interesting.

Jerry, after switching from mornings to afternoons, decided to leave the full time position at WPTT although I think he will still be doing a weekend show. When I have all the details I will post something here for those that are interested. That's the good news. The great news is that Jerry will be returning to full time talk radio in September on WORD FM here in Pittsburgh. He will remain in the 03:00 PM to 06:00 PM time slot that he held previously. One of the reasons for the switch was that Jerry likes talk radio to be a “conversation” between two parties where both have the opportunity to lean something. You will find Jerry on WORD FM at 101.5 on your radio dial starting on September 1st 2005. So mark your calendars, tune in and see if you like what you hear and tell your friends.