Around the Town in Oakmont PA

My thoughts and musings on life, technology and living in my adopted home town.

Thursday, August 04, 2005

Words of wisdom

I was never much of a student in school. As a matter of fact I am amazed that I managed to derive the education that I received considering the complete lack of effort on my part in the endeavor. I think my two worst subjects were math an history. I remember once writing an essay, something the entire class had to do as “punishment” for some infraction of the rules, about what a waist of time it was studying history. I wrote several pages of diatribe about the complete lack of relevance of history in my day to day life or its possible use in preparing for the job market after school.

Ah, the ignorance of youth! Being somewhat of a hard head it took me quite a while to lean the fallacy of my notions. While I sill shoulder most of the responsibility for my education or lack there of I think it is also somewhat of an inditement not only of the system in use at the time and the people managing and operating it. I have long been of the opinion that a good teacher is worth their weight in gold and that we as a society failed recognize that fact. I also feel that many of the people involved in the education system today are worth their weight in river rocks but that is the subject for another rant.

I have come to have a real appreciation of history especially American history thanks in part to authors like David McCullough. If you haven't read any of his excellent books you are really missing something. Again, I digress as that was not the point of this writing. What I wanted to bring to the attention of readers of my blog was a daily email that I think worth while. Each day I receive quotes from the founding fathers courtesy of the Federalist Patriot web site. Here is just one example.

The Federalist Patriot
Founders' Quote Daily

"Nevertheless, to the persecution and tyranny of his cruel ministry
we will not tamely submit - appealing to Heaven for the justice
of our cause, we determine to die or be free...."

-- Joseph Warren (American account of the Battle of Lexington,
26 April 1775)

Reference: Documents of American History, Commager, ed., vol. 1
(99
)



If you would like to receive the founding quotes go to the Federalist Patriot web site where you can sign up. I will also add their web site to my links section here on the blog. Learn and enjoy!