Around the Town in Oakmont PA

My thoughts and musings on life, technology and living in my adopted home town.

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Trying to locate a family

As you probably know I am an Amateur Radio operator or "ham" if you prefer. In addition to talking with people on the radio I also communicate with a number of other hams and non hams on the Internet. We discuss a wide variety of things and every so often someone will come up with a non technical request for help as is the case here. I got an email from a fellow ham in Arkansas who while shopping flea markets bought an old Bible. Turns out the Bible belonged to a solder during World War I and my friend would like to contact the original owners and see if they would be interested in having it returned to the family. This is one of those places where the Internet shines for disseminating information. It allows me to reach far beyond my circle of family and friends to see if we can return this Bible to the family or possibly to the owner!

This is the information that I received so feel free to pass it along by word of mouth or any other way you see fit. The odds are slim that anyone here in Oakmont is going to know this name or anything about those involved, but you never know.

If is should happen that you know something please feel free to contact me and I will pass the information along to the individual who currently possesses the Bible. Thank you.

From a Yahoo discussion group:

I live in Arkansas call sign KF5CRY and while shopping I found a bible from a WW1 soldier. I'm trying to find a family member to see if they would like to have it back in the family. We have a way of reaching out to people so I'm asking for your help. Name in the Bible is Wilfred C. Reid Jr. Can you guys help?

SFC ROBERT STAATS
1/156 INF. BN 256 BCT

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home