Around the Town in Oakmont PA

My thoughts and musings on life, technology and living in my adopted home town.

Saturday, January 23, 2010

There is hope for politicians, I saw it today


I tend to be rather cynical when it comes to government and politicians. With the current state of affairs in the City of Pittsburgh and the nations capital I don't think you can blame me. One of the reasons that I watch C-Span is to see exactly what our representatives are saying when the cameras are on them as opposed to what they are actually doing when it comes time to cast votes and initiate laws and measures that affect the country and its citizens.

As I said I continue to be rather cynical. This is the reason that I stopped pulling the party leaver in the voting booth a long time ago and stopped looking to see if a person had an R or a D after their name. Before I go to vote I try to learns as much as I can about what each candidate has done in the past and what they say they are going to do in the future.

As I watch those who choose to enter the arena of public service I find many who do so for reasons that while they may be honorable at the outset soon find themselves drawn into the system that is modern day politics losing at minimum their principals and in the worst cases their souls. I don't think they are bad people but I do think they make bad choices.

Having said all of that I also see glimmers of hope and at times even shining stars. While watching C-Span this afternoon I saw the National Urban Fellows Conference and one of the key speakers was the Mayor of Newark New Jersey Cory Booker. As he began to speak I was dividing my time between the computer and the television and I quickly found myself removing my reading glasses and watching and listening to what he had to say. This young mayor from Newark has a no nonsense approach to governing and I believe that one day he will go far beyond the office of mayor. If you would like you listen to his keynote speech by follow this link to C-Span. I knowing everything there is to know about him there may be some things that I would not agree with him on policy wise but I'm willing to overlook that when I find someone who speaks his mind and and proves by his actions that he is indeed working to advance his community to the best of his abilities.

So I remind my fellow voters that good people are out there and that it is our job to look for them and see that they get the chance to hold office and lead our towns, cities, counties, states and country. If you would like to see more of what Cory Booker is doing check his web site.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home