Around the Town in Oakmont PA

My thoughts and musings on life, technology and living in my adopted home town.

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Ken & Linda @ the movies

"The Blind Side"

My sweetheart and I went out to the movies today something that used to be a regular routine for us but that we haven't done for some time now. Today being Valentines day we decided that dinner and a movie were in order. Both turned out be be very enjoyable but I considered the movie to be outstanding part of the day.

The Blind Side staring Sandra Bullock is based on a true story and one that will touch your heart as you watch it develop. It is the story of Michael Oher who currently plays for the Baltimore Ravens, a position he obtained through the kindness of a well off family the mother of whom believes in living the Christian values that she professes to family and friends.

Michael comes from a broken home in the slums and a series of foster homes after he was taken away from his drug addicted mother. It is only because one of his foster fathers makes an effort to get him enrolled in a Christina school telling them that he would be a valuable asset to their athletic program that Michael finds himself on a path to a new life.

Through the school he meets Leigh Anne Tuohy with two children of her own that attend there. Latter she discovers him walking aimlessly on Thanksgiving eve looking for a warm place to stay the night. She takes him home and give him a place to sleep on their couch only to find him up and leaving the next morning before the rest of the family arises. She talks him into staying for Thanksgiving dinner which leads to a friendship that turns into Michael becoming part of the family.

The relationship that develops between the characters along the way is truly amazing both its depth and in what they learn from each other. I haven't seen a movie this good in quite some time. It is rated PG-13 for some violence and sexual innuendo in the dialog. I have to say that I have seen much worse on television and I would not hesitate to take children as young as ten or twelve to see this picture.

If I had a critical word about this film I think it would be that too much emphasis was placed on the fact that Micheal was a black boy taken in by a while family. This could just as easily have been a disadvantaged white boy whose biggest obstacle to overcome was abject poverty. I will grant you under the circumstances Michael being black was another hurdle that he had to overcome but the true focus of the story was one human being reaching out to help another in Christina love.

A somewhat humorous side note. Both Linda and I noticed that country music star Tim McGraw was listed in the credits and sang the main song at the end of the movie as the credits rolled. As his name appeared again in the ending credits Linda and I both wondered out loud where Tim was in the movie? I came to the conclusion that he must have had a bit part appearing in the one of the football game crowd scenes. Imagine my surprise when I got home and looked up the movie on the Internet Movie Database only to discover that Tim McGraw played Sean Tuohy the husband to Sandra Bullock's character. He was in almost every scene in the movie. I guess that I have never seen Tim McGraw without his beard and definitely have never seen him with out his signature black cowboy hat. I just couldn't get over it and neither could Linda.

If you get the chance I suggest that you go see The Blind Side and that you take a friend or your family to enjoy it with you. Highly recommended!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home