Around the Town in Oakmont PA

My thoughts and musings on life, technology and living in my adopted home town.

Saturday, August 13, 2005

Mad as hell and not going to take it anymore


I have been silent on this matter of the Harrisburg pay grab, I won’t dignify it by calling it a raise, that has caused such a furor on talk radio and one that is slowly building in the mainstream media. One of the things I am having a hard time adjusting to in the blogosphere is the speed at which it moves. Most of the time this is a positive point as it give the medium much of its power. I do feel that there are times when ideas should be better thought out before being expressed.

Words have meaning and they have effects whether written or spoken and should have some thought placed behind them. Speed and thought are not always coequals in the world of words and many have not yet figured this out. Of that group many write or speak, mostly speak in this age, without thinking and find themselves in a firestorm as a result. Others lean from the experience and never speak or speak only in terms that have little or no meaning in the real world. We have some from each camp involved in this issue.

So our illustrious governor and his cohorts in Harrisburg have finally done something that has pushed the average taxpayer in Pennsylvania over the edge. I haven’t heard this much wailing and gnashing of teeth since the state income tax was instituted several decades ago. Now the sixty four thousand dollar question will be can we sustain that anger until the next election cycle? Even more important will be be able to come together and focus that anger in a meaningful way that will bring about some change in the state?

I have already head two different proposals about how this can be accomplished. Let me tell you about both of them. First a group has been formed for what is being called “Operation Clean Sweep” which hopes to put every incumbent in Harrisburg out of office. I have to tell you this idea has a LOT of appeal and while it might happen it will be very hard row to hoe. Much like the war on terror if this ball get rolling these career politicians are going to realize that they are in a fight for their way of life and they will pull out all of the stops to make sure that they keep the status quo in place. If you don’t believe me just watch. Here is a link to Clean Sweeps web site where you can learn more.

In addition this plan has what I consider one glaring fault. That is that there are some good people working as true public servants in the state capital and is some cases you will be throwing out the baby with the bath water. When you look at the plan though this can’t be avoided since if you start making exceptions you will dilute the plan and, in my humble opinion, it will fall apart. Still, I have to admit that it does have merit.

The other proposal I have heard came from Ron Morris who is an instructor at Duquesne University and local talk show host. This in addition to being a very successful business man. Ron wants to tap a number of other successful people in Pennsylvania to build a “war chest” large enough that they can back key candidates for the Sate House and Senate. Then send people with enough wealth of their own that they neither want or need to spend the rest of their lives in Harrisburg living on the taxpayers dime.

Ron says they will only back candidates that will pledge to repeal the pay grab, cut the number of legislator's in half, give the voters of the state the power of referendum and institute term limits for those that remain. He would accomplish this because they would back people like themselves who pass muster in that they have had the responsibility of making a payroll in their career. Entrepreneurs who understand what function government is supposed to serve in our society. Create the infrastructure to allow the citizens to create wealth and economic growth in clean and safe cities. Do this and Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania will once again become a vibrant place that will attract business and create jobs that will let everyone prosper. I am putting a link in this article to Ron’s web site where you can read more about this if you like.

I agree with all of these objectives except the last one. I have never believed in term limits either at the state or national level. I guess is has to do with the fact that I think we should be self governing as the founding fathers intended and if I choose to elect someone to represent me in the government and I am happy with the job that that person is doing I should have the right to continue to send him or her back to continue the job until I or they decide otherwise. This even if the rest of society shirks it duty to do the same. It could even be an edge in situations like we find ourselves in today where a large number of those in government have forgotten that they were elected to serve the people and not the other way around. Those that do recognize their obligations should be allowed to continue to work from within the system to effect change. I will have to say though that I understand the arguments from those that advocate term limits and at times get frustrated enough myself to think about it.

What then are we to do you and I? Well you can start by making sure that you vote in each election in which you are qualified to do so. Then you have to make sure that the people running for office know that you exercise that privilege. When someone espouses the ideals and principles that you feel represent your idea of good government make it known to them. Not just by saying so either. Actions speak louder than words. Vote with your wallet by supporting that candidate’s campaign or do some leg work for them knocking on doors and talking with your neighbors and letting them know why you are backing this person for office.

As to the current mess in Harrisburg, I think that drastic measures like those advocated by Ron Morris are necessary to send a wake up call to entire body politic. The key is that we have to do something! The fact that I am sitting here writing this entry for my blog instead of enjoying reading a book or talking on my amateur radio station says that “I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take it anymore” in the words of the character Howard Beale in the movie “Network”. I only hope that enough of my fellow citizens feel the same way. There are a number of links in this text should you choose to explore the subject further.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home