Around the Town in Oakmont PA

My thoughts and musings on life, technology and living in my adopted home town.

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Television worth watching

I watched a few hours of television over this past weekend and one half hour show caught my attention more than the rest. Q&A on C-Span’s Book TV Sunday night was excellent. Of course that fact that the show was hosted by one of my favorite interviewer, Brian Lamb, and the subject of the interview was one of my very favorite authors, David McCullough, may have had something to do with it.

For those of you that many not be familiar with Pittsburgh native son David McCullough he is a winner of two Pulitzer Prizes in addition to numerous other awards for his writing. His mastery of the English Language and the ability to bring prominent characters in history back to life and present them in a way that makes you feel as though you had known them is extraordinary. David McCullough has tapped into a yearning for knowledge of history and in particular American history that has surprised everyone even him. His new book “1776” debuted at number one on Amazon and is still in the top ten on their fastest selling list. I have a number of his books some of them still in my “to be read” stack and I look forward to them all.

If you get C-Span2 on your cable system or satellite system, and if you don’t you should be complaining, many of these types of events are repeated at a latter date. If you get the chance to catch the David McCullough’s interview on Q&A by all means take the time to do so. You won’t regret it.