Around the Town in Oakmont PA

My thoughts and musings on life, technology and living in my adopted home town.

Monday, November 07, 2011

Elections in Allegheny County tomorrow

For those of you reading this that live in Allegheny County tomorrow is election day. I encourage all of you that are eligible to go to the polls and vote. If you do vote one of the more important decisions you will make tomorrow will be the election of a new chief executive. The two candidates Rich Fitzgerald and D. Raja have both minimized the issues at hand buy running very negative campaigns attacking each other personally. Something that I think has discouraged a lot of voters and may keep them away from the voting booth tomorrow. With the large disparity in party registration in Allegheny County I think the scales are already tipped in Fitzgerald's direction and if the election turnout is small as predicted that may determine the outcome of the race.

I plan to voting tomorrow and I will cast my vote for D. Raja. I am also encouraging my family and friends to do the same. While Rich Fitzgerald is a very likable person and seems to have an entrepreneurial spirit he has continued to be "part of the problem" when it comes to making essential changes in government that need to come about in order to change the direction of the city, county, state and ultimately the country. As much as I am disappointed with the type of campaign being conducted by both candidates, especially in the media, I feel that someone not submersed in the body politic at the county level who would view the county executive's position more as running a business than holding a political office would be best for the citizens of the county.

Please take the time to look over what the candidates are offering to attempt to do if elected to the office and choose the one you feel best suited for the job. My hope is that we will not wake up Wednesday morning open our news papers, turn on our radios and televisions or log into our favorite web sites only to find that we have a new county executive in office based enough members of special interest groups who knew only what they were told by their bosses and voted the party line.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home