Around the Town in Oakmont PA

My thoughts and musings on life, technology and living in my adopted home town.

Monday, March 28, 2011

My love of books branches out

I have been resisting this for some time now but I finally signed up for an account with Audible and downloaded my first book in MP3 format. The reason that I haven't gotten on this bandwagon a long time ago is because of something called "Digital Rights Management". First I guess I should explain what Audible is for those not familiar.

This is a service that records someone, often times the author, to read books and storing the recordings in digital format that can be downloaded to your computer, smart phone or portable audio player. This enables you to listen to your favorite authors while commuting to work, walking or jogging or working out in the gym. This can be a great boost for those that find it hard to make time to sit and read a book.

Having said that I still prefer the "feel" of a book in my hands and despite the fact that I am a slow reader and it takes me much longer to get through a print edition of an author's work I will continue to buy real books. I also realize that technology marches on and I now have the Audible account and am considering a Kindle from Amazon for eBooks. However you do it I hope everyone will continue to cherish books and encourage friends and family to read and to lean from them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home