Around the Town in Oakmont PA

My thoughts and musings on life, technology and living in my adopted home town.

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day 2008

Several years ago I wrote a post here on the blog about Father's Day. You can click on the word "post" in blue if you would like to see it. Here we are at yet another celebration of Fathers and Father's Day. The third Sunday of the month has become a regular work day for me because of security updates that have to be tended to on the computers at work. So I went in this morning and got things started and found myself somewhat lucky today. The timing worked out that I could "take a break" in the afternoon and attend the car show mentioned in the previous post with two of my three sons. My other son Dan would have a little tougher time attending since he currently lives on the California Nevada border several thousand mile away. Still I am with him and he is with me in our thoughts.

I wish that my father and Linda's Dad could be there with us today but that is no longer possible. At least they can't be there physically. I know they will both be there with us in spirit. Fathers pass on their wisdom and their values to their children and that is their legacy to our country and our culture.

I worry about so many of the current generation that are growing up in a one parent family most of the time with the father being the missing component. I worry not only for these individuals but for our society as a whole. What values will those grow up with and what will they pass along to the next generation? These thing will affect you and I and our children and grand children in the years to come.

I don't want to wander to far down that path because today is a day to celebrate. I suggest that if your father is still with us that you spend the day with him if you can. And if for some reason you can't that you pick up the phone and make sure that you let him know how much you love him and that you truly appreciate what he has done for you over the course of your life. If you have children don't forget that even after they have grown and become adults that Dad is still and always be a source of "continuing education" for those that you have helped bring into the world.

Happy Father's Day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home