Around the Town in Oakmont PA

My thoughts and musings on life, technology and living in my adopted home town.

Friday, March 07, 2008

Lets hope this is a "Giant Eagle" snow storm


If you are from the Pittsburgh area you know we have a long history blowing bad weather conditions, especially snow falls, way out of proportion. On top of that in the last several years all of the local television stations, one in particular, have decided that they will make even the possibility of snow falling a ratings event whipping the audience into a frenzy of impending doom.

Anytime there is the hint that we will receive more than two flakes of snow the weather prognosticators are on the air telling you that they will keep you up to date as severe weather moves in. Their counterparts on the anchor desk will speak with reporters in the field showing you that all of the Penn DOT trucks are loaded with salt and ready to hit the road. Then you will get the obligatory shot of lines in the supermarket buying milk and bread.

Meanwhile it has been years since we had a snowfall of enough significances to close down schools and make travel on the roads a real hazard that would keep you sequestered in your home for a day or more. And, it has been decades since we had what I consider a large snowfall. I'm not complaining mind you. I have never had a love for snow even as a kid I much preferred being warm and dry if at all possible. This is just one more way that I don't fit the mold of the typical Western Pennsylvania resident. I really like Pittsburgh but I think snow is something that you should have to take down a book and look at pictures if you wanted to describe it to someone. Lets hope this weekend is just another one of media hype. Every once in a while though I look over my shoulder wondering if this will be the time we wake up to "six inches of partly cloudy" out on the sidewalks. Since I'm in no shape to go out let alone shovel snow I will hope for the former rather than the latter.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home