Around the Town in Oakmont PA

My thoughts and musings on life, technology and living in my adopted home town.

Friday, January 18, 2008

I just heard the news


Typically when I get up in the morning I take a few minutes to get myself awake never having been a "morning person" before I jump into the shower and get my day started. Most of the time I have the radio on listening to either WDSY, Linda's favorite or KQV an all news station which is my preference. This morning I happened to be the first up and hence switched the radio in the bathroom over to the AM side and listened to some news while getting ready for work.

As I was leaving the bed room headed for the radio room to check my email I head the announcer say that it had been reported that Bobby Fischer had passed away during the night. I have always had an interest in the game of chess as do most people who have computers as a hobby.

Back in the early days of micro computers they were more of an end to a means rather than the useful tool that they are today. If I had a nickel for every time someone asked me "But what are you going to do with it?" about my early computers I could have retired a long time ago.
I finally gave up trying to justify it for what it could do and just said that I enjoyed tinkering with them and was trying to learn as much as I could.

Now I was never much of a chess player even to this day. About the only players I could best in a game where those that had no clue as to how the game was played. That is why I will never become a great programmer, I am not "wired" with the logic that makes a good chess player. Be that as it may I was saddened to hear of Bobby Fischer's passing. I consider people like him to be of genius stature in line with the likes of Albert Einstein. If you click on Fischer's name in this post it will take you to the entry about him in Wikipedi where you can learn more about his life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home