Around the Town in Oakmont PA

My thoughts and musings on life, technology and living in my adopted home town.

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Getting a jump start on the new year


I am told that one of the most popular New Years resolutions made at this time each year is to lose weight. I know I have uttered syllables to that effect myself on a number of occasions over the years, alas only to find that I am no better at keeping them than the rest of the population. I don't need to tell you about the ill effects of being over weight as they are well known by now much as are the dangers of smoking. Fortunately for me that is a habit that I never acquired otherwise there is a good chance that I would not be at the keyboard writing this now.

So this year I decided to get a jump start on the process with the help of my lovely wife Linda. Linda joined Weight Watchers about a year ago and has done exceedingly well with it. For folks like us it truly does take a change in life style and let me tell you that is not an easy change to make.

We have just passed though a time of the year when we Americans celebrate much about our heritage. Starting with Thanksgiving and on through Christmas many of our celebrations involve consuming large quantities of food with friends and relatives as we gather together and give thanks for the abundance that we have been blessed with.

Not too surprisingly a lot of us manage to gain more than a few pounds each year at this time only too find that those pounds gained so quickly come off every so slowly if at all. Then one day you discover that advancing in age makes the process all that more difficult. So this year I decided to get a jump start on my new year and joined with Linda's group just before Thanksgiving. So far I have managed to make it through Thanksgiving and Christmas and lose weight. Now when you are my size that is not a particularly great accomplishment but it is a head start on the new year. Perhaps after I lose some additional pounds I will get brave enough to post my progress here no the blog. If you are engaged in a similar endeavor I wish you well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home