Around the Town in Oakmont PA

My thoughts and musings on life, technology and living in my adopted home town.

Saturday, October 08, 2005

Maybe next time

After my last posting I got email from my friend Henry about the loss of the Dairy Queen. Henry has retired from a long careerer in law enforcement to become a professional photographer. One of the things that he does just because he enjoys doing it is shooting pictures of old gas stations, old barns and other places that are fading from the American landscape.

He was quite upset that he missed to opportunity to shoot Oakmont's Dairy Queen in black and white. I personally don't prefer black and white although I will say that on some subjects it makes an interesting aspect stand out in a photo that you might otherwise not notice. Since the Dairy Queen has been on that spot since my wife was a child I think a black and white of it would have had its place in the overall scheme of things.


It is however, a moot point now as the building is now gone and soon will be replaced with a shiny new pharmacy. Here are two views of the lot as it exists now. The first was shot from Allegheny Avenue looking at what would have been the front of the DQ.

The second was shot from about where the counter with the cash registers would have been looking toward Hulton Road the still standing gas station and Chrysler dealer. Maybe next time Henry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home