Around the Town in Oakmont PA

My thoughts and musings on life, technology and living in my adopted home town.

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Getting your news in one spot

A computer literate friend of mine runs a web site and blog and has just installed some software that gathers news stories from a number of sources and puts it in one place. In addition you can arrange the stories in different ways such as listing them by category. Kind of a neat concept. I'm sure he is not reinventing the wheel here but as deeply involved with computers and the Internet as I am I haven't kept up with some aspects of it. For instance, I have never gotten into instant messaging which has become a huge use of the net. I do use it now and again but I can live with it or with out it. Now email is another story altogether. Take away my email and I have a serious problem! Much as with blogging I am late coming to the arena of “news aggregator” programs. I do find them useful though.

As usual I'm getting off track. I grew up in the television age and until a few years ago was literally addicted to it. I planned my week around what would be on prime time television. It was also where I got ALL of my news. That is a habit that I have broken. Of course I may have substituted one addiction for another in the form of the computer but at least I read a lot more books now days. I also get the majority of my news from the Internet and news papers. You would be amazed at how your opinion of the world changes when you are not getting your news from ABC, CBS and NBC. What television news I do get now I get from Fox News Channel. The are far from unbiased but I think they do the best job of presenting the facts that you will find in the television world of news.

This is why I was fascinated with Mike's news feed. It pulls lots of ideas together in one place and lets you pick and choose which ones to pursue. Check it out for yourself and see what you think.

Link to Michael P. O'Connor's News Sources

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home