Around the Town in Oakmont PA

My thoughts and musings on life, technology and living in my adopted home town.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

All right already..........

I have been trying to write this entry for several weeks now and seem to keep getting side tracked. I finally put it on my laptop so that when I get a few minutes here and there I can continue my thoughts from the place I last left off. Thus I am making progress slow though it might be.


All right enough wallowing in self pity it is time to move on. If you read my posting last month about the importance of voting you know that I was very disappointed with the outcome of the November elections to say the least. I try to be as upbeat and optimistic in my day to day life as I can be but it has been tough as of late. I'm trying to believe that the change in power in Washington DC in November will not have as big an effect on our lives as I anticipated prior to the elections. Only time will determine if this is true.

The reason these events have me so upset is that I know we have been blessed to live in a country with the greatest political system that has ever been devised by man. I also know from some of the history that I have been reading that had it not been for what I consider “divine intervention” at some key points in the building of this nation we would not exist as we do today. God truly has blessed America and I feel that as a people we have lost sight of that fact.

So, what is to be done? I guess the first thing is to look forward to the future and resolve to make it better than the present. The little solace that I derived in the days following the election came from a movie scene. I kept hearing a line from the original Star Wars movie where Obi Wan, the representation of good, tells Darth Vader the representation of evil “If you strike me down now I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.” I hope that is what will happen with the Republican party as a result of this last election.

If I sound somewhat radical referring to some of the elected leaders of this country as “evil” you will have to forgive me. One of the key points of the two opposing sides in this struggle is that matter of abortion. I wish they would stop using that term and call it what it really is, the murder of unborn children. There have been volumes written on the subject so I won't go further other than to say that I consider it a very large step toward “the dark side” for out country.

I haven't been exactly wild about some of the actions of the party that I have supported either. They have strayed from the principles that put them into positions of leadership. Fiscal responsibility was thrown out the window and more time and effort was spent in trying to stay in power than doing the job I elected them for. Perhaps this turn of events will be a wake up call although I fear what could result until things are put right again.

At this point I can only work a little harder to push the pendulum in the other direction. I will continue to talk with friends and coworkers when I have the opportunity and try to present a reasoned argument for my point of view and why it should be supported. I will write email to my elected representatives expressing my views and I will continue to vote.

Probably the most important thing that I can do though is to continue to pray for our county and its leaders. As I said before I think there was divine intervention in the founding and building of this nation and its rise to the envy of the world for the freedoms and prosperity that it gives. Many have lost sight of that blessing ignoring or worse yet perverting its origins. I will continue to pray that trend is reversed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home